Tuesday, October 19, 2004

stress = ice cream

Current iTunes:
The Shin's New Slang

When i get stressed out, i eat. This is NOT a good thing when your weapon of choice is Ben and Jerry's Half Baked Ice-cream.

So much is going on in my life right now that I wish the world would just slow down a little for me to catch up and breath. It seems like the work load never stops. Paper and midterms have begun and they are getting the better of me already. Everyone is in the same boat so it's not really fair for me to complain. And even tho i've only been working at I-House for about three weeks, the work load and stress in meeting deadlines and coordinating people and events are taking a toll on me physically and mentally. And with the addition of grad school applications, that just puts everything over the hill and back.

The one thing i'm most concerned about is grad school and, in particular, grad school requirements. I sometimes wonder if i'm good enough. Too bad GPA doesn't tell you shit about progress and passion. I onced talked with a friend who advised me to aim high when it comes to grad schools. "Try Harvard and Princeton. I hear they have great post-grad programs in your field." This is easy coming from someone who just been accepted to Harvard Law School. I'm just average. Not exceptional. And everybody who will be applying will be exceptional. I think this is where my insecurities come in. Sometimes i give off this impression that i have it all together, but really, i'm just as insecure about my own abilities as the next person. I crack under pressure. I cry when no one is looking. Nobody's perfect. Really. And I think the one difference with me is that I don't ever allow myself to feel sorry for myself. Why should I? I've got a roof over my head, clothes on my back, food in my stomach and family and friends who love me- i am already more blessed than millions of people out there.

But you know what? As i'm writing this, i can either wallow in my own self-pity or carry on with my life despite a few bumps on the road. And while i'm contemplating where to go to grad school or if i go to grad school, i've neglected to ask what God wants me to do. I've been so self-centered in my own thinking that i've ignored the most important thing in my life. No wonder i was so lost!

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD , "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Amen to that!

Whew. It feels good to get that off. Now i'm more energized to take on this challenge! Bring it on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home