Saturday, June 12, 2004

post haw flakes...

How do you beat the haw flakes post? I shall try.

First...a recap of my day(s).

Victor, Anne and I went into Richmond today for some dimsum and stopped by at Daiso afterwards to pick up some things. We each bought these little cups for drinking Japanese beer in (like at Gyoza King) and we'll probably use them during our first game of mahjong. Hehe. My parents will be so proud.

I went to see The Corporation at the Hollywood with Alexis last nite. I really enjoyed the film (b/c i LOVE documentaries) and thought it presented a pretty interesting analysis on the nature of corporations and its impact on society, the environment, and what people are doing in response to it. I first learned about Corporate Social Responsibility in my Country Risk Analysis class (POLI 333 w/ Nairne...excellent class by the way) and after watching the film, it reinstated in my mind how important the concept really is.




Walmart. There is a reason why everything is so cheap there. But at the same time I'm harping on Wal-mart for their sweatshop wages, violations of international labor laws and human rights, I can't help but think that the $0.70/hour wage each worker earn (as oppose to prostitution and narcotics), helps put food on the table for many families in places like Bangladesh or India. But $0.70/hour? Can we put the blame entirely on corporations like Wal-mart, Gap or Nike? Governments? Consumers? I think we are all responsible. We are all in the same pie chart. The size of the pie for each of the above however, is a different story.

I am not on my high horse here preaching to people what they should or should not do. Heck. I've shopped at Wal-mart before. I've got a pair of Nike runners. Who doesn't like to save money? Who doens't like to run aerodynamically? But now that the facts are presented to you, why make the same mistakes twice. I'm not an expert or an activist. I'm not looking for applause or a pat on the back. I'm just one person who hopes to leave this world a better place for my kids and your kids. I'll probably make mistakes on the way but I'm gonna try.

***

on a lighter note...here are some pics from POV, Anna's dinner and Megan's partee as requested...cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home