letter to you...
Since I am too lazy to recap my week, i'm just gonna copy and paste the very long email i just wrote. I will update with pictures soon! Here goes...
Hello hello! How is everyone doing? Sorry for the lack of updates lately. Waking up everyday at 7am is really taking a toll on me. As most of you know, i am NOT a morning person at all. At least when i was working at Bodwell camp, i had a break during the day for naps and stuff. Last night i went to bed at 10:30pm because i was so tired. Whoa is me.
The weather here is still a scorching 34 degrees!! And this is only July! Apparently it gets hotter in August. Can you imagine being hotter than 34 degrees? Isn't there a threshold in temperature where it can't get any hotter above a certain degree? But i guess by then everyone and everything will just spontaneously combust. B.Sc people should know this (I'm only a B.A student who took EOSC as a science credit). It's a wonder how HK people function under such intense weather. The 'breeze' here is unlike any other. It's not like the fresh, summer breeze in Vancouver it all. It's more like a breeze of warm air filled with car and air conditioning exhaust. For those who've been to Asia before can definately relate. I want to petition in a fiesta time like in Latin America. How awesome would that be?
Work at the office is going great. My boss Valerie is on holiday break until August 1st and our Development Officer Derrick goes in-and-out between Singapore and HK so I'm pretty much at the office by myself...doing whatever I want (ie: writing emails...and i am almost tempted to bring my new Harry Potter book). Our regional director Teresa will be in August 1st so i better take advantage of this before she arrives. :)
The work pattern here is very similar to the work pattern at I.House. You are really free one minute and then things get really hectic the next minute, especially before and after an event. But of course it is not all play and no work. The office (along with UBC's program officer, alumni officer and regional alumni reps) are working on 4 student send-offs happening in Beijing, Shanghai, Jakarta and Singapore in the next two weeks. There's even a HK alumni boat cruise happening at the end of August. Did you know there are over 1000 UBC alumni in HK? I never knew there were so many activities and events geared towards UBC alumni. I've been to one here at the Canadian Consulate in HK and it's all about networking. The first thing everybody did was give people their name cards. I was the youngest alumni there and the only one w/o a name card. Even the Cousulate General at the Canadian Embassy is a UBC alumni. (I'm thinking of applying there next! *wink*) You guys should definately check out some alumni events in your area b/c it is a really great way to meet people.
Let see...what else happened last week. Oh yes. Katherine Beaumont, UBC's Go Global Director came to HK and my boss Valerie and I had lunch with her. I was surprise to learn that she actually remembered me from I.House and passed on a hello from my old boss in Vancouver. I guess hard work really does pay off! And last Wednesday, we had a reception/alumni event at the Canadian Consulate and Prof. Suttle (Associate Dean of Science) came to make his presentation on "Why are there 100 million viruses in your teaspoon of water." I think I learned how to fall asleep with my eyes opened that day. Like I said, I'm an Arts student...so sue me.
On the social scene, things are slowly picking up for me as I meet up with some old and new faces here in HK. Everybody has been so nice and they have definately made my time in HK more fun. Everyone has been making an effort to see me or make plans with me which makes me feel all fuzzy inside. Even those i haven't really kept in touch with all these years have made an effort which is uber cool. I love friends!
On the boys side of things, there are absolutely no targets right now. I am just not attracted to HK guys at all. Altho I must admit, i've spotted a few good ones in Central (two of which I semi-wipped out in front of at Starbucks). And there are these two European looking guys on the same MTR train that i take in the morning that are pretty decent looking. The suits that they wear really throw me off tho b/c they kind of give off that Mormon/Jehovah Witness vibe.
I miss everyone like crazy tho. I hope you guys are enjoying your time in Canada, Europe and overseas! Keep me updated on your fabulous lives! And come visit me!!!! love love love
Interesting observations...
- public display of affection on a crowded MTR train is soo NOT cool
- you get better service when speaking in English
- whisky and green tea actually taste good and surprisingly refreshing
- tanning in HK is different than tanning in Vancouver...you actually sweat buckets when you tan in HK...that's hot (in so many ways)
- cockroaches in HK are like cats, they have 9 lives...i swear
Hello hello! How is everyone doing? Sorry for the lack of updates lately. Waking up everyday at 7am is really taking a toll on me. As most of you know, i am NOT a morning person at all. At least when i was working at Bodwell camp, i had a break during the day for naps and stuff. Last night i went to bed at 10:30pm because i was so tired. Whoa is me.
The weather here is still a scorching 34 degrees!! And this is only July! Apparently it gets hotter in August. Can you imagine being hotter than 34 degrees? Isn't there a threshold in temperature where it can't get any hotter above a certain degree? But i guess by then everyone and everything will just spontaneously combust. B.Sc people should know this (I'm only a B.A student who took EOSC as a science credit). It's a wonder how HK people function under such intense weather. The 'breeze' here is unlike any other. It's not like the fresh, summer breeze in Vancouver it all. It's more like a breeze of warm air filled with car and air conditioning exhaust. For those who've been to Asia before can definately relate. I want to petition in a fiesta time like in Latin America. How awesome would that be?
Work at the office is going great. My boss Valerie is on holiday break until August 1st and our Development Officer Derrick goes in-and-out between Singapore and HK so I'm pretty much at the office by myself...doing whatever I want (ie: writing emails...and i am almost tempted to bring my new Harry Potter book). Our regional director Teresa will be in August 1st so i better take advantage of this before she arrives. :)
The work pattern here is very similar to the work pattern at I.House. You are really free one minute and then things get really hectic the next minute, especially before and after an event. But of course it is not all play and no work. The office (along with UBC's program officer, alumni officer and regional alumni reps) are working on 4 student send-offs happening in Beijing, Shanghai, Jakarta and Singapore in the next two weeks. There's even a HK alumni boat cruise happening at the end of August. Did you know there are over 1000 UBC alumni in HK? I never knew there were so many activities and events geared towards UBC alumni. I've been to one here at the Canadian Consulate in HK and it's all about networking. The first thing everybody did was give people their name cards. I was the youngest alumni there and the only one w/o a name card. Even the Cousulate General at the Canadian Embassy is a UBC alumni. (I'm thinking of applying there next! *wink*) You guys should definately check out some alumni events in your area b/c it is a really great way to meet people.
Let see...what else happened last week. Oh yes. Katherine Beaumont, UBC's Go Global Director came to HK and my boss Valerie and I had lunch with her. I was surprise to learn that she actually remembered me from I.House and passed on a hello from my old boss in Vancouver. I guess hard work really does pay off! And last Wednesday, we had a reception/alumni event at the Canadian Consulate and Prof. Suttle (Associate Dean of Science) came to make his presentation on "Why are there 100 million viruses in your teaspoon of water." I think I learned how to fall asleep with my eyes opened that day. Like I said, I'm an Arts student...so sue me.
On the social scene, things are slowly picking up for me as I meet up with some old and new faces here in HK. Everybody has been so nice and they have definately made my time in HK more fun. Everyone has been making an effort to see me or make plans with me which makes me feel all fuzzy inside. Even those i haven't really kept in touch with all these years have made an effort which is uber cool. I love friends!
On the boys side of things, there are absolutely no targets right now. I am just not attracted to HK guys at all. Altho I must admit, i've spotted a few good ones in Central (two of which I semi-wipped out in front of at Starbucks). And there are these two European looking guys on the same MTR train that i take in the morning that are pretty decent looking. The suits that they wear really throw me off tho b/c they kind of give off that Mormon/Jehovah Witness vibe.
I miss everyone like crazy tho. I hope you guys are enjoying your time in Canada, Europe and overseas! Keep me updated on your fabulous lives! And come visit me!!!! love love love
Interesting observations...
- public display of affection on a crowded MTR train is soo NOT cool
- you get better service when speaking in English
- whisky and green tea actually taste good and surprisingly refreshing
- tanning in HK is different than tanning in Vancouver...you actually sweat buckets when you tan in HK...that's hot (in so many ways)
- cockroaches in HK are like cats, they have 9 lives...i swear

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home