Thursday, September 22, 2005

i LOVE Taiwan!!

Okay. So here is my long awaited Taiwan update. I better get lots of props and comments on this because it took me forever to load all the pictures. My mouse-clicking finger is still sore.

What can i say but I LOVE TAIWAN!! My four day trip (but technically only 2.5 days) to Taiwan was one of the bestest times I've had in Asia since leaving Vancouver in June. I have to thank my three awesome hostesses Bonnie, Penny and Tina for making my trip extra special. You guys are the best!

Some general observations about Taiwan:
- People are generally nicer, less stressed out and less irritated than HK people. I think it has a lot to do w/ the bigger space and more green things.
- Taiwanses guys are generally more goodlooking than HK locals. The are taller and more built.
- There are as many scooters in Taiwan as there are cars. They seem to follow their own rules and I'm amazed I didn't witness any scooter related incidence while I was there. Oh yeah, I rode on the back of a scooter for the very first time in Taiwan. Sooo much fun but awful helmut hair afterwards.
- I really really need to brush up on my Mandarin.

Pre-departure:


HK Station in Central and fooling around on the airport express.

Day 1:
- Taipei 101
- hanging out w/ Penny
- shopping and nail art at Ximen
- dinner at Mr. Paco
- Frank's party at The Fuze



Early morning necessities: caffeine and a Metro map


Taipei 101: The tallest building in the world (thus far).


Inside the atrium of Taipei 101


At the indoor observatory on the 88th floor. There's also an outdoor obeservatory on the 91st floor but it's only opened on certain occasions.


Taipei cityscape and the Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall from the top of Taipei 101.


The largest wind damper in the world. It keeps Taipei 101 stable thru strong winds and earthquakes.


w/ Penny at the best food court...EVER (basement of Taipei 101)!


Taipei Main Station and the Metro (equivalent to the MTR in Hong Kong or the tube in London)


Ximen station: Where the young and the cool thrive on the latest fashion trends


People and scooters...definitely a Taipei staple


A random pic of some Gatsby "models" and their skinny "girlfriends." I believe this was some kind of a publicity stunt. Penny dared me to take a pic with the male models but i chickened out. What can i say? I'm shy.


Penny and I getting our nails did at Ximen. That's our manicurist and my nails appropriately titled Barbie. I think I'm going to stick to French manicures from now on.


Authentic Taiwanese bubble tea and dinner at Mr. Paco


Then we crashed Frank's b-day party at Fuze





Day 2:
- Belize reunion!!!
- Korean bbq w/ Tina and Matt
- Shopping at Sogo
- Shilin Nite Market



Meeting up with Tina and Matt at Gong Guang Station for korean bbq


w/ Tina and Matt outside the restaurant


Tina, Bonnie and I at the Metro


The famous Shilin Nite Market- just like the Richmond Nite Market but 50 gazillion times better!




The nite market in full swing


Remember seeing these in old Chinese dramas? And before you make a comment on the right pic, get your filthy heads out of the gutter first. They are messy to eat under 34 degree weather but so damn good. I'll have to share the stick next time because it was too sweet for savory taste buds.


Pet street


There's a rabbit beneath all the fur


aww...how precious


Introducing the new McRice (i made the name up cuz i don't actually know what it's called). It's like a burger with rice cracker buns. I wanted to try it but I wanted to save room for the stinky tofus.


You can record your own cd here. HK pop idol here I come!


The nite market..at nite of course


Entrance to the food market *drool*


So many choices...sensory overload!



Stinky tofu, it taste better than it sounds...really.


Mmm....food. This is the sole reason why i don't diet.


The moon during mid-autumn festival and a bird's eye view of a traditional Chinese home


Taipei 101 from afar

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home